• 1 litre dry red wine
• 2 (5cm) cinnamon sticks
• 1 dessertspoon whole cloves
• 1 dessertspoon whole allspice
• 1 large piece orange rind (avoid the pith)
• 1 large piece lemon rind (avoid the pith)
• A few cranberries
• 4 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
1. Combine the red wine, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, lemon rind, cranberries and orange rind in a heavy saucepan. Warm gently over a medium heat, but don’t bring to the boil. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and once dissolved, taste and add more sugar if desired
2. Keep hot on a medium to low heat for 20 minutes to let the flavours infuse. Serve hot in glasses or mugs.
Image courtesy of gfpeck on Flickr.